Use Job Websites
Job websites — or job banks — are where job seekers can search and often apply for job openings.
Job banks are websites where job seekers can search and apply for job openings online. They are sometimes called job boards. Online job sites are a great place to start your search, and it's a good idea to check several. The larger ones include jobs of all levels, occupations, and locations. Others specialize in certain kinds of jobs. Most job sites allow you to:
- Search and apply for job openings. There are thousands of online job banks. Most work in the same basic way: employers pay to post job openings; job seekers search the openings and apply for those that interest them. Most sites allow you to search by occupation, location, industry, and other characteristics.
- Post your resume. Sometimes you can post your resume without applying for a specific job. On some job sites, like MinnesotaWorks.net, employers can then review your resume for positions they haven't even posted.
- Get a feel for job requirements and pay. Job websites can be a good research tool. They can help you learn what kinds of workers employers want, they skills they expect, and the pay and benefits they offer.
Protect Yourself From Scams
- You should not have to pay to post your resume or search job openings. However, you may have to register to use all the features of a job website.
- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Some job postings are scams. Be wary of any that ask you for an "up-front" investment of money for products or instructions. Also be wary of those that offer commissions or pay thousands of dollars for job duties such as processing checks on behalf of foreign nationals or reshipping goods from your home.
- Never give out personal information. A legitimate company won't ask you for your social security number, credit card numbers, bank account information, or any other personal details.
Browse the job banks below to find postings that best meet your needs.
Minnesota Job Websites, General-Purpose
Lists thousands of job openings in Minnesota. It also lists internship, apprenticeship, and volunteer opportunities. You can build or upload your resume, and then search for openings that match your resume.
- Minnesota Jobs
Find job ads for openings throughout Minnesota.
- Star Tribune Jobs
Find thousands of job listings. It also provides employment news and information, e-mail links directly to employers, and resume building software.
Publishes weekly employment newspapers filled with regional employment opportunities. Find job postings throughout the upper Midwest. It lists openings from all types and sizes of businesses in regions that are often not served by larger newspapers and national websites.
Minnesota Job Websites, Specialized
Search for jobs in the agriculture, food, and biotechnology industries.
Helps new Minnesotans locate jobs from employers committed to cultural diversity. Find lists of cultural and community organizations and publications.
- Minnesota High Tech Association
Use this site to find Minnesota science, technology, engineering, and math jobs and career information.
- Jobs in Minneapolis, MN
Job listings by category available in the Minneapolis, MN area.
Lists hospital and health jobs in Minnesota. The site is sponsored by the Minnesota Hospital Association.
- Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association
Promotes precision manufacturing jobs as a career option. Works to expand the workforce that is qualified and available to work in manufacturing.
- Minnesota State
Find and apply for jobs at any Minnesota State school as well as the system office.
- State of Minnesota Job Openings
Allows you to search for job postings in state government. Create an online resume, apply for open positions, and set up job search agents to e-mail you about new job openings.
- University of Minnesota Employment
Search for positions by keyword, apply online, and attach supporting documents, such as a resume or curriculum vitae. Job seekers can check the status of their application. The University is one of the largest employers in the state.
National Job Websites
Posts millions of jobs from over 300,000 employers from across the country. Search for jobs by keyword, location, and type. CareerBuilder is one of the largest U.S. online job sites.
- CareerOneStop's Job Bank Information
Connects to all state job banks.
Helps college students and recent graduates connect with employment, continuing education, and business opportunities.
Search this career hub for technical careers.
- International Jobs
Contains the latest national and international job postings. Search by job type, country, or organization.
Search for job openings worldwide in all industries and occupations from entry level to chief executive officer.
- K12 Jobspot
Find education job openings from schools across the U.S.
Connects job seekers to real world job opportunities, career tools, and advice.
Search for job openings nationwide in all industries and occupations from entry level to chief executive officer.
- USA Jobs
Search and apply for civilian jobs within the federal government by specialty and location. Search by keyword, location, agency, and occupation. Jobs are available nationwide.