Step 3: Create a Plan & Set Goals: MyMnCareerPlan
What are goals and career plans?
Goals are things you want to accomplish or change in your life. It takes effort and organization to make changes in your life. That's why you can use a career plan.
Right now, you don't need to know what careers you'll end up in. And, you don't need to know the education options will help you get there. But you do need take action to find what fits you — now and later.
MyMnCareerPlan Workbook (405KB, .pdf) will helps you keep track of your goals. A career plan also helps you think about how to accomplish your goals. Your plan will also help you think about who can help you.
Set goals for your future and make them happen.
Why Do We Set Goals?
Sometimes your final objective or goal seems very large and hard to reach. By making a plan and breaking it down into small steps, you can see what progress you have made. You will increase your self-confidence and motivation as you accomplish one step after another.
- Long-term goals give you a destination.
- Short-term goals are the stepping-stones along the way to reaching your long-term goal.
How Do You Make Goals?
When making goals about your career and postsecondary options, consider making them SMART.
S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Achievable
R = Realistic
T = Time-based
SMART goals can be related to your career, education, personal life, or finances. Here's an example of a SMART goal. "I will make a list of eight to 10 colleges and research them following my school criteria by January 15, 2015. This includes internet research, which I will track on my MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
Who Can Help You With Your Goals?
Sometimes it is helpful to run your list of goals with people who can help you achieve them. These others can be a friend, mentor from your church or neighborhood, teacher, school advisor, or a family member. Others can provide more information or help you to hold yourself accountable.
- Review the SMART goals criteria.
- Determine at least five short-term goals and list it in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Determine at least one long-term goal following the SMART goals and list it in your MyMnCareerPlan Workbook.
- Show your goals to at least one person who can help you write down and manage your goals.
- Next, expand your skills.